Tuesday, September 9, 2008

summer days drifting away


Edward Teale once stated "For man, autumn is a time of harvest, of gathering together. For nature, it is a time of sowing, of scattering abroad." Luckily in these past few weeks, I have been able to experience both phenomena.

At the end of this month, I head off across the pond to begin graduate school (Master's Program in Development Studies at Oxford). Amidst packing, frantically completing sixty texts of required summer reading that was assigned in mid-August, finding every excuse to make multiple trips to J.Crew, I have had the opportunity to spend time with those I care about most- all of you.

It is said that it is only in the season of summer that laziness finds respectability. Hence, my summer sought to be as respectable as possible. Hesistant to leave my home and nest for the last 21 years, I found work at the St. Olaf Admissions Office. Here, I memorized the 45 different majors and concentrations offered at St. Olaf, and made some wonderful friends. I also finished research for the Hindu American Foundation and am excited to present such work next week on Capitol Hill.

A true Yankee at heart, I had the opportunity to discover some of the beauty of this country through many road-trips. I ran my first marathon on the North Shore of Lake Superior. I traveled to Mt. Rushmore and Yellowstone with my family in our big red minivan and to Denver for Erica's wedding. Sarah Palin would be proud of my trip to North Dakota where I attempted to lasso a cow at a rodeo. And, the highlight, was heading to Madeline Island with Nathan, Katie and Lindsay!

I also grew infinitely closer to my family. We celebrated my grandparents' 55th wedding anniversary in Trinidad and my brother's graduation from good ole Eastview in June. I even got to spend time with my aunt, uncle and cousins from Miami three times this year! I also got to play big sister by moving in the same younger brother to St. Olaf a few weeks ago. Papa Rambi has begun every day with a 20-minute life lesson that he imparts to me over breakfast and then ends every day with five Gita verses and their meanings.

And now, off to the biggest adventure of my life. Please e-mail me whenever possible ishanaa@gmail.com or utilize the great American invention of facebook or even skype me at ishanaarambachan. I will be home for a week at Christmas and then off to Israel to visit Tyler!

1 comment:

Tyler said...

Jerusalem is ready and waiting for you, my dear!

It's awesome to hear about your adventures back in Minnesota. Good luck with all the big changes in the next week- I know you are going to rock it!