Thursday, September 25, 2008

curry on capitol hill (DC, part one)

In the words of John McCain, "My friends,"

I have nearly completed my first few days in our nation's capitol. My main purpose was to engage in advocacy for the Hindu American Foundation on the Hill. In addition, I had the opportunity to see a good friend, Tony Olson, who is working with Teach For America in the DC public schools.

I spent the day on Tuesday observing Tony, or should I say, Mr. Olson in his classroom . It was tremendously uplifting to see the energy and enthusiasm he conveyed to his students. Tony was a natural! He embodied the best of an Ole and Eastview alum- truly living out ideals to action. This Obama-inspired hope was juxtaposed by the conditions of the high school in which he taught, the disrespect & vulgarity in the classrooms and on the basketball court, the fighting in the hallway, and the metal detectors at the entrance.

I then traveled to the Congressional offices, a few blocks in distance, but a world's away from Coolidge High. Joined with other members of the Foundation, we visited Congressional offices to advocate on behalf of the nation's 2 million Hindus. We spoke to Senators, Congressman and their aides on the issues of misappropriated aid to Pakistan, continued human rights abuses against religious minorities in Malaysia and the growing erosion of the divide between church and state (legislation to introduce the teaching of creationism in schools, inaccessibility of Bush's Faith-Based Initiative to members of minority religions, etc).

What was most moving was to meet fellow Hindus and Indians from my generation, who are achieving great success professionally, but still remain committed to their cultural and religious identity. At times, especially in the Midwest, I have felt rather isolated in my faith. To me, it is wonderful to feel that I am part of a larger network and community. We ended the session with a reception in the main Capital building and were proud to achieve our highest and most decorated (in terms of guests) attendance to date.

Tomorrow, Rhodes orientation begins. More to come soon!

No comments: