Sunday, October 12, 2008

Bon Voyage Weekend in DC


Hello again.

Intense. Inspirational. Sleep-deprived. These three terms best describe our Rhodes orientation and send-off in Washington D.C. during the last week of September. All 32 American Rhodes Scholars and a few scholars from the Caribbean converged upon DC for a series of cocktail parties, Oxford informational sessions and networking events.

Intense in that we had nearly four events a day- spanning from the Supreme Court, to the Shakespeare Theater, to the Senate floor. Inspirational in terms of who I met, including; founders of women's shelter groups in Moscow and of Google; 22-year-olds who will have accomplished more by their quarter-life-mark than most will have accomplished in three lifetimes; and global citizens fully dedicated to social justice who are equally amazing public speakers (Nick Kristof). Sleep-deprived- in that I was determined to spend every minute getting to know my fellow Rhodies and hang out with some wonderful Oles (Meggie and Tony!) in the city for my last week in America.

Some highlights:
- Meeting with Senator Richard Lugar and his injunction to us to consider what "we would like on our tombstone" and to live as if we are creating a legacy.
- Recieving a tour of Capitol Hill from by Rep. Paul Sarbanes (of the Sarbanes-Oxley Act!) and hearing him tell grandfather-like stories of Congressional history.
- Panel session at the American Society for International Law on human rights related careers.
- Mac and cheese dinner at Lissa Muscatine's house, author of Hillary's DNC Convention speech.

Above all, I enjoyed being able to meet other members of my class. We were able to spend time with each other out in Chinatown, around Dupont Circle and even at Zaras. It was wonderful to make friends who inspire and unsettle me, challenge and support me. Michelle Sikes, my roomie in DC, and I bonded the moment we met and and even more so after I fell asleep in front of Justice David Souter.

We all left together on October 1 for England. London, baby!

Ishanaa

No comments: